Tuesday, July 13, 2004

Phew, what a day yesterday. Everything started out fine, you see, but it took a change for the worse, much worse. Yesterday was the day we were going to donate plasma for a little extra spending money, so we took the bus to DCI (the plasma donation center) and signed up. We were figuring on being there for about two to three hours, but instead we were there for about seven hours. We got there about 11:50 AM to donate. We signed up and filled out all of the paperwork, but were waiting because there was only one nurse who could do physicals on the new patients. How unlucky we were, because there were 3 or 4 people ahead of us. Well, after waiting about six hours or so, I finally took my physical and went to get hooked up to the plasma machine.

First, let me explain what happens: after getting hooked up to an IV in the arm, they draw blood. The blood then goes through a centrifuge and is separated from the plasma. The plasma is collected in a container and then your blood is fed back into your arm. Very few people seem to have a problem donating, but however, I seemed to have ran into some. While the blood was collected and spun, I was getting very light-headed, dizzy, and such. It was bad enough that I honestly felt like I was about to die. I couldn't think of anything but what was about to happen and whether or not I was going to feel better. It just happened so quickly that I didn't really know what was going on. I got very hot and was sweating profusely and lost most of the color in my body. However, once the blood was fed back into my arm, I was fine. However, they repeat this process enough times to fill the container, so I went through this four times, if I can remember correctly. Anyway, after getting disconnected and sitting up, my blood pressure was VERY low. It was at 90/60, and which if you know me, my blood pressure is high if anything. So, this has got me wondering if I have a bad heart or blood problems or something of the sort. I made a measly $25 for this, which I then used to eat with and pay for a taxi back to the shelter.

This morning, I wasn't able to get up because I didn't sleep very well and was very weak, so Kim had to go outside alone today. For lunch, I wasn't hungry because the shelter just doesn't really serve food that is appetizing for me (and yes, I know, I'm picky, but I just don't eat chicken and turkey, which is what they have served almost every day that we've been here).

Well, anyway, I hope some people start signing up for the e-mail programs I've been talking about. Some extra money for me that I don't have to feel like I've almost died for would really be appreciated. Anyway, later all.

No comments: