Friday, September 23, 2011

This post is a huge question that I have asked myself so many times but can never get a solid answer for. This question does not ask for your pity or try to acquire it in some subconscious way. What I want from you is the cold hard truth so that I can better myself.

Well, if you've followed my blog at all, you've seen how I've been searching for jobs for quite some time. I finally have one as a material handler for a distribution center. Before I say much more, I want to say that this is a very hard job. The people that work with me are incredibly strong and agile, along with a strong understanding of the duties of the job. People like this deserve way more admiration than they receive because of the very hard work that they do. This can likewise be said for many jobs, from construction, to law, to science, and what have you.

This is where my question lies, however. All my life I have enjoyed working with computers in ways that a lot of people do not understand, but I will readily explain anything if the question arises. My potential employers do not seem to think I am fit for any computer job that I have applied for (and I have applied for all I have seen). Why can't I get the job?

I first want to list my qualifications. I can type 70+ WPM. I am not sure of my 10-key speed at the moment, but rest assured my fingers know where the keys are. I have decades of experience with Windows and can run the system quite easily without a mouse. If pressed further, I can work within windows without even a monitor, since I am able to use the system by sound alone. If Windows isn't your company's OS, I am certainly not new to linux. With this OS, I have much more control over the computer, but in an attempt to impress those who know what is going on, I will say that I can dual boot linux with any other OS (or tri-boot, or what have you). I was first able to accomplish this with LILO but can do the same with grub, with or without a compiled linux kernel.

Forget booting linux, that's the easy part. Let's make a firewall with it. No problem! I've done that, as well as creating different types of networks through such a machine. I prefer the console to X because of the keystrokes, but if you have a custom X install, I can adapt quickly. Enough of linux, on to Mac. Easiest system ever, really. If you cannot run this, you shouldn't be using a computer. Not much to say, here, other than learning finder.

More: I can spoof, crack, code, network, troubleshoot, and well, anything. If I were to brag, I would say that I know more than enough to take down most networks, but not enough to get hired.

Wut do?

No comments: